This seems to be pretty easy to fix but it can be quite complex, depending on the environment. For me, it took me around 2-3 hours to fix it properly. So I decided to write about all my findings so that someone else don’t have to spend this time.
Issue: When setting up new profile, outlook displays error message “The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action”
I have tried several troubleshooting methods and then researched online but nothing seems to be helping. So here is what I tried and hopefully one of these fixes will fix it for you as well.
First of all rule out is it user based issue or computer based
- Setup profile on different machine – Tried Setting up same user on two different machines and can replicate issue, so it is not computer based surely. But is it user based, more testing required.
- Is it affecting more than user – Yes and No, it is not affecting all users but selected random users.
So the troubleshooting of far suggests it is something to do with Environment or Exchange itself.
Then I tried below steps to resolve it.
- Setup new profile on same computer, but Failed.
- Setup new profile but manual, by specifying the mail server address – Failed
- Here it is not able to resolve Mail Server
- Checked DNS, Exchange Services and everything seems to be fine.
- Tried some registry fix mentioned on some of the blogs, but Failed.
- Tried more registry fixes but still Failing
- Tried Outlook compatibility mode but Failed
Now I have ruled out that it is not Computer or particular user or environment, so it is Exchange.
- Checked Exchange, all Services are working fine.
- No errors in Event log
So Finally I came across this blog, which solved the issue I was having.
Here are the steps to Fix it.
- Open IIS Management Server on Exchange Server
- Click on Application Pools
- Right click on MSExchangeAutoDiscoverAppPool and click Recycle
- Right click on ExchangeRpcProxyAppPool and click Recycle
Try again it will should work now.
Hopefully this will fix the errors for you.