Installing Windows Server 2016
Before you Install Windows Server 2016, please get familiar with different versions of Windows Server 2016 on Technet.
The following table briefly summarizes the key differences between Standard and Datacenter editions:
|Core functionality of Windows Server||yes||yes|
|OSEs / Hyper-V containers||unlimited||2|
|Windows Server containers||unlimited||unlimited|
|Host Guardian Service||yes||yes|
|Nano Server installation option||yes||yes|
|Storage features including Storage Spaces Direct and Storage Replica||yes||no|
|Shielded Virtual Machines||yes||no|
|Software Defined Networking Infrastructure (Network Controller, Software Load Balancer, and Multi-tenant Gateway)||yes||no|
Both Standard and Datacenter editions offer three installation options:
- Server Core: reduces the space required on disk, the potential attack surface, and especially the servicing requirements. This is the recommended option unless you have a particular need for additional user interface elements and graphical management tools.
- Server with Desktop Experience: installs the standard user interface and all tools, including client experience features that required a separate installation in Windows Server 2012 R2. Server roles and features are installed with Server Manager or by other methods.
- Nano Server: is a remotely administered server operating system optimized for private clouds and datacenters. It is similar to Windows Server in Server Core mode, but significantly smaller, has no local logon capability, and only supports 64-bit applications, tools, and agents. It takes up far less disk space, sets up significantly faster, and requires far fewer updates and restarts than the other options.
In this series we will be installing Server Core and Server with Desktop Experience Server.
- Installing Windows Server 2016 – Server Core – Manual
- Installing Windows Server 2016 – Server with Desktop Experience – Manual
Although you can still use SCCM (Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, WDS (Windows Deployment Services) with MDT or any other available tools to do so. I will be installing windows using manual method and guide you through step-by-step install guide for this series.