System Center – Orchestrator
Currently in my work role, it’s more about automation. We have been using monitoring tools, but they can only do much. So I started looking for tools like Microsoft Orchestator, where it can do more than just alerting on the event.
“A complete Orchestrator installation includes a management server, one or more runbook servers, a SQL Server for hosting the Orchestrator database, a web server for hosting the Orchestrator web service, and a server for hosting the Runbook Designer and Runbook Tester. It is possible to install all these roles on a single computer, but it is more common to distribute the roles across several computers or virtual machines.” Ref
For this lab purposes, we will be utilizing current SQL Server for hosting the database. But all other roles will be installed on single Server.
If Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is not installed on your computer, a dialog box appears asking if you want to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Click Yes to proceed with the installation.
To install an Orchestrator management server
- On the server where you want to install Orchestrator, start the Orchestra Setup Wizard.
- On the main page of the wizard, click Install.
- On the Product registration page, provide the name and company for the product registration, and then click Next.
- On the Please read this License Terms page, review and accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then click Next.
- On the Diagnostic and Usage data page, review the Diagnostic and Usage data notice, and then click Next.
- On the Select features to install page, ensure that Management Server is the only feature selected, and then click Next.
- Your computer is checked for required hardware and software. If your computer meets all of the requirements, the All prerequisites are installed page appears. Click Next and proceed to the next step.
If a prerequisite is not met, a page displays information about the prerequisite that has not been met and how to resolve the issue. Use the following steps to resolve the failed prerequisite check:
- Review the items that did not pass the prerequisite check. For some requirements, such as Microsoft .NET Framework 4, you can use the link provided in the Setup Wizard to install the missing requirement. The Setup Wizard can install or configure other prerequisites, such as the Internet Information Services (IIS) role.
After you resolve the missing prerequisites, click Verify prerequisites again.
- On the Configure the service account page, enter the user name and password for the Orchestrator service account. Click Testto verify the account credentials. If the credentials are accepted, then click Next.
- On the Configure the database server page, enter the name of the server and the name of the instance of Microsoft SQL Server that you want to use for Orchestrator. You can also specify whether to use Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication, and whether to create a new database or use an existing database. Click Test Database Connection to verify the account credentials. If the credentials are accepted, click Next.
- On the Configure the database page, select a database or create a new database, and then click Next.
- On the Configure Orchestrator users group page, accept the default configuration or enter the name of the Active Directory user group to manage Orchestrator, and then click Next.
- On the Select the installation location page, verify the installation location for Orchestrator and change it if you want to, and then click Next.
- On the Microsoft Update page, optionally indicate whether you want to use the Microsoft Update services to check for updates, and then click Next.
- On the Help improve Microsoft System Center Orchestrator page, optionally indicate whether you want to participate in Error Reporting, and then click Next.
- Review the Installation summary page, and then click Install.
- The Installing features page appears and displays the installation progress.
On the Setup completed successfully page, optionally indicate whether you want to start Runbook Designer, and then click Close to complete the installation.
- Once Orchestator is fully installed successfully, it will open Orchestator Runbook Designer.